Discover More About Our Products
The 2017 Rubicon is a classic vintage of this iconic Cape wine. Still young and intense, Meerlust Rubicon 2017 promises further maturation potential. A stand out vintage of Rubicon displaying all the charm of a perfect vintage from mature vines. This South African red wine can be cellared for 15-30 years provided its stored in ideal cellar conditions.
|Type Of Wine:||red wine|
|Vintage:||2017 Other vintages|
|Appellation:||Stellenbosch (Western Cape, South Africa)|
|Winery:||Meerlust Wine Estate|
|Grapes:||Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot|
|Wine Level In The Bottle:||Mid-Shoulder (ME - Mi-Epaule)|
Description of Meerlust Rubicon 2017
Meerlust Rubicon 2017 (Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot)
- View: Very deep, youthful colour, and intense almost purple hue.
- Nose: Quintessential Rubicon nose with violets, ripe plum, cedarwood, fennel and intense spiciness. A typical liquorice note also evident on the nose.
- Mouth: The palate is full-bodied, structured but packed with fresh dark fruit and rounded, linear tannins promising long beneficial maturation.
VINEYARD: Meerlust Wine Estate. The Cabernet Sauvignon is grown on low yielding, predominantly biotite partially decomposed granite gravel topsoil rich in quartz and feldspar to a depth of approximately 600mm with a loamy clay subsoil. The Merlot vineyards are planted on more clay rich, yet well-drained soils to ensure moisture retention and availability to the vines roots right through the summer. There are considerable deposits of iron-rich Laterite in the Merlot vineyards which accentuates the fruit definition and mineral profile of the wine. The Cabernet Franc Vineyard is situated on very well-drained, stony Vilafontes soil with approximately 20% clay which is ideal for this variety. The Petit Verdot is on Oakleaf 3 soils on a northerly aspect to ensure full phenolic ripeness.
GRAPES: Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Petit Verdot,
AGEING: Each grape variety was fermented separately before undergoing malolactic fermentation in 300 L barrels, 60% new French Nevers and 40% second fill casks. After 8 months in barrel, the components were blended and given another 10 months in barrel for harmonization before bottling.
How to serve
Reviews of Meerlust Rubicon 2017
Meerlust Rubicon 2015
- Very classic Rubicon nose with violets, ripe plum, cedar wood and intense spiciness.
- Still young and still intense, promising further maturation potential.
- The palate is full bodied, structured but packed with fresh dark fruit and rounded, linear tannins.
Intense ruby red shade. Especially noticeable smoky aromas in this Meerlust Wine Estate. On the palate reminiscent of leather, slightly burned vanilla.
Should absolutely be paired with fish.