Elaboration of Meerlust Red Stellenbosh 2016
Meerlust Red Stellenbosh 2016 (Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot)
- View: Deep red, very clean, with certain shades of purple color.
- Nose: Aromas of ripe red fruits, which evoke the forest. Has a particularly spicy, peppery like that gives you a bold yet sophisticated character.
- Mouth: Intense impact, but very elegant, endowed with much freshness. It is really balanced, particularly among its flavors and acidity. The fruity finish lingers for a while.
GRAPES: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot.
AGEING: months in barrels.
PREPARATION: The grapes are harvested during cold periods, to maintain the natural character of the fruit manually. Then they fermented in new oak barrels, then selected and properly despalillarse. Past few weeks, 44% of the liquid is changed to a completely new barrel, to increase expression. Months must elapse before clarified, filtered and bottled.
WINE PAIRING: Roasts, game, grills, cheeses strong flavors.
RECOMMENDED SERVING TEMPERATURE: 18-20 °C
Reviews of Meerlust Red Stellenbosh 2016
Meerlust Red 2014
- The nose is expressive with ripe blackcurrant fruit, plums, spice and lifted floral aromas.
- On the palate it is medium-bodied with flavours of cassis, vanilla and dark chocolate.
- The tannins are soft and silky, the acidity fresh and the flavour profile focused and linear.
- The wine has a persistent and long-lasting aftertaste.
- 52% Merlot, 27% Cabernet Franc, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon and 9% Petit Verdot.