Vondeling Petit Rouge 201775cl
Vondeling Petit Rouge 2017
Description of Vondeling Petit Rouge 2017
Vondeling Petit Rouge 2017
- View: Ruby red with garnet glints.
- Nose: A lively and fresh fruit-forward scent.
- Mouth: A rich and intense flavour with plenty of juicy fruit notes of black cherry, raisins, and plum with a bit of pepper and earthy herbs. Firm but gentle tannins nestle on the palate and settle into a medium-long finish.
VINEYARD: Vondeling owns and operated about 100 hectares of vineyard lying at the feet of the Praadeberg Mountain in Western Cape, South Africa. The warm and sunny climate receives periodic cooling breezes off of the Atlantic ocean. Red varieties are planted on southwest-facing slopes in decomposed granite and shale soil.
GRAPES: 60% Merlot and 40% Cabernet Sauvignon
PREPARATION: Vondeling Wines has an incredibly long history in Western Cape, having been founded in 1704. Founded by Swedish immigrant Oloff Bergh, the winery has been a leader in traditional winemaking and continuous improvement. Vondeling is also committed to environmental conservation, as a member of the Paardeberg Sustainability Initiative. The grapes are harvested manually in the early morning hours to guarantee ideal ripeness and flavour. In each batch, some grapes and crushed while others are left whole during fermentation. This ensures a beautiful depth of flavour.
PAIRING: Beef, barbecue, venison, lamb.
RECOMMENDED SERVING TEMPERATURE: 15-18ºC
Reviews of Vondeling Petit Rouge 2017
- Nose: An elegant fruit profile on the nose includes cheeky cherries, subtle raspberry and spicy black pepper.
- Palate: All this is nicely supported by refined tannins and a soft finish. This wine is a superb companion to The Petit Blanc.
- Food Pairing: Can be enjoyed at many levels, but goes exceptionally well with a traditional South African braai of wors and chops. Alternatively try a winter dish of slow-roasted, marrow- enriched oxtail casserole with fresh farm-style bread.
- (Merlot 70%, Cabernet Sauvignon 30%)
- The Cabernet Sauvignon vineyards used for this blend are planted in a combination of well-weathered granite soils and beautiful "koffie klip" (shale) slopes. The Merlot vineyards are planted exclusively on granite-derived, South-West facing slopes.
- The grapes were picked at approximately 24 degrees C, with vibrant flavours of ripe, red fruits. Hand picking, under the watchful eye of the winemaker, ensures that only the finest fruit is delivered to the cellar.
All grapes are bunch sorted, before being destemmed and berry sorted. During this labour intensive practice all unwanted matter, eg stems, leaves, raisins and green berries are removed.
- Certain tanks were fermented as whole berries to promote a lighter, fruitier palate, while others were crushed and worked hard to promote structure and spiciness. This combination ensures a broad spectrum of fruit and spiciness on the nose and palate.
- After fermentation the wine is transferred to old 300Lt French oak barrels and the skins are basket pressed. Malo-lactic fermentation takes place in barrel after which the wines are racked. The wine spends a total of 11 months in barrel, after which it is bottled.