Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Merlot 201775cl
Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Merlot 2018
Discover More About Our Products
Church Block was the first wine the late Greg Trott produced under the Wirra Wirra label back in 1972. He took the name from one of the original vineyards, which runs next to the small Bethany Church (est. 1854) across the road from Wirra Wirra's century old ironstone cellars. Over four decades, the Church Block label has become an Australian favourite.
|Type Of Wine:||red wine|
|Vintage:||2017 Other vintages|
|Appellation:||McLaren Vale (South Australia, Australia)|
|Grapes:||Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz|
|Ending Year For Optimal Consumption:||Can Be Drunk From Release And Up To 15 Years From Vintage.|
|Wine Level In The Bottle:||Mid-Shoulder (ME - Mi-Epaule)|
|James Suckling Score:||92|
Description of Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Merlot 2017
Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Merlot 2017 (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Shiraz)
- View: Deep plum with a scarlet edge.
- Nose: Lifted red and black currants, deeper plums and black cherries, fresh-tilled earth and leaf with some spicy cedar.
- Mouth: Fresh red and dark fruits provide great flesh and depth to a long, even palate. Grainy tannins and cedary oak add structural support and line to the rich fruit.
APPELLATION: McLaren Vale
VINEYARD: Wirra Wirra
GRAPES: Cabernet Sauvignon 52%, Shiraz 39%, Merlot 9%
AGEING: Combination of French (70%) and American oak (30%) barriques & hogsheads of which 10% is new oak.
PREPARATION: Fruit was gently crushed and destemmed prior to commencing fermentation where fermentation temperatures were kept at 20-22 degrees Celcius, rising to 25-28 degrees at peak of ferment. Ferments were pumped over two to four times daily to assist in flavour and colour extraction, and to monitor and control fermentation temperature. Nearing completion and having achieved the desired flavour and tannin extraction, pump-overs were reduced to once or twice daily to keep the cap of the skins and seeds moist. At approximately 1-2°Baume, the wine from the fermenter was drained, and the remaining skins were pressed via tank or basket press. Wines completed Malolactic fermentation in tank or barrel as individual vineyard parcels and matured in oak before blending.
PAIRING: Roasted lamb rack with vegetable gratin.
Reviews of Wirra Wirra Church Block Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz Merlot 2017
- Bouquet: Lifted cassis and leaf with cedar and clove spice. The fragrant cabernet sauvignon dominates with bright red fruits and plums.
- Palate: The palate is rich and generous with plush dark fruits. The red and black currants, Satsuma plums and raspberries are balanced by fine savoury tannins and cedary oak.