Quinta do Vale Meão produces the Meandro , a red wine from Douro that is based on tinta roriz, touriga nacional, tinta barroca, touriga franca, tinto cão and sousao grapes. Drinks&Co users evaluate this red wine with 4 out of 5 points.
“16,5 pts Revista de Vinhos - It presents a ruby dark colour, of great saturation. Very expressive nose, full of ripe berries. It lets the acidity guess gentle tracks of tropicality and green olive. In the mouth, intense and quite definite passion fruit - that quickly is tinged in wild fruits, full of freshness. The alcohol is very well integrated.”
“The Quinta do Vale do Meão is the flagship of one of Portugal's best wineries. The wine is a blend of the original Portuguese grapes Touriga Nacional 58%, 35% Touriga Franca, 5% and 2% Tinta Barroca Tinta Roriz which (using 80% new, overife for the 2nd time) for 18 months in French barriques. This is a wine that has great balance and very elegant. Nothing is too much or too overbearing and the Wine Advocate speaks also about the "wow moment" at Quinta do Vale do Meão. This wine is simply irresistible. The wine has a complex nose with many aromatic nuances without overlapping with another odor. Red fruit, leather, espresso, hint of tobacco and spices we smell in the nose. The wine is medium to full bodied with an excellent (read: not dominant) integration of wood. Now everyone goes to compare this wine is a bit lame but it's best to compare it with a good, elegant Burgundian who freshness and elegance can let go together. The Meao stood in the Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2014 of the world's best wines in the top 3!
91-93 / 100 Parker Points”
“TASTING NOTES OF Meandro 2014:
- View: red very much alive.
- Nose: floral aromas combined with red berries.
- Mouth: mouth filled with intense fruit notes, a long aftertaste very fresh and complex.
VINEYARD: Quinta do Vale Meao
GRAPES: 35% Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca 34%, 20% Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca 6%, 3% and 2% Tinto Cão Sousâo.”
“Tasting Notes: Excellent color, very vivid. Floral aromas combined with black and berries. Fills the mouth with intense notes of fruit, showing a prolonged fresh and complex mouth. Serving at: 16-18ºC. We recommend with: Meat | Cheese”
It presents a ruby dark colour, of great saturation. Very expressive nose, full of ripe berries. It lets the acidity guess gentle tracks of tropicality and green olive. In the mouth, intense and quite definite passion fruit that quickly is tinged in wild fruits, full of freshness. The alcohol is very well integrated.
- Winemaker: Francisco Olazabal
- Winemaking: After crushing the grapes undergo a heat shock followed by step walk for four hours in granite mills. The wort is transferred to wine fermentation tanks of small capacity with temperature control. The varieties are vinified separately. This wine aged in barrels of second and third year in 225 liter French oak Allier.
- Grape Varieties: Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Sousão, Tinta Barroca, Tinto Cão.
- Food Pairing: Serve with red meat accompaniment, or other special meat plates or soft cheeses.
- Store and Serve Advices: Bottle thrown at an ambient temperature of 12ºc and humidity of 60%. Serve at 16 °c to 18 °c.”