- All brands
- The Glenlivet Distillery - producer
The Glenlivet Distillery
All products from The Glenlivet Distillery18 products
about The Glenlivet Distillery
The Glenlivet's story begins in the isolated Livet Valley, where George Smith was illegally distilling his whisky before he even got his licence in 1824. Since then, this Speyside producer has grown to become one of the world's best-selling single malt brands. At the heart of the company's whisky range are products that are famous to lovers of the genre, such as The Glenlivet 12 Years and The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve.
History of The Glenlivet
Although the official foundation of The Glenlivet dates back to the year 1824, the illegal roots of the brand date back some time before. George Smith began his illicit whisky production venture in remote Livet Valley, far from the prying eyes of the law (and the customs officers and soldiers who enforced the law). The product, however, was already so famous that even King George IV asked to try Glenlivet whisky during a visit to Scotland in 1822.
A change in legislation in 1824 allowed George Smith to finally obtain a licence to legally produce his already famous spirit. Competence did not take Smith's decision to "legalize" well, so much so that the entrepreneur got into the habit of walking around with two guns to protect himself!
In 1884, in order to prevent other distillers from exploiting the fame of The Glenlivet and using the name of the valley as "denomination of origin", the brand earned the right to call itself "The Glenlivet", remaining to this day the only producer authorized to use this name.
Today, more than a century after these events, The Glenlivet continues to be one of the leaders in the world of Speyside Single Malt Whiskies worldwide.
The Glenlivet whisky portfolio is made up of four main branches: Taste, Heritage, Explore, and Travel.
- Two "reserve products" are part of the Taste range: The Founder’s Reserve, made in honour of George Smith, and the Captain’s Reserve, inspired by his grandson.
- The Heritage range contains the classic aged offerings. The Glenlivet comes in 12-, 15-, 18-, 21-, and 25-year-old expressions while the Winchester Collection is a three-part series of 50-year-old limited-edition releases.
- The Explore range is made up of the Nàdurra family of whiskies. As Nàdurra means “natural” in Gaelic, these small-batch whiskies are more inventive and innovative flavour-wise.
- In the Travel range are those whiskies who have travelled through different types of casks. The Distiller’s Reserve, White Oak Reserve, and Rare Cask releases have all been through three different casks before entering the bottle.
Other Relevant Information
The Glenlivet Distillery is located 270 metres above sea level, in one of the coldest places in the UK. Drawn from Josie’s Well, the water for the distillery is hard mineral water which gives more flavour and aroma to the final product.
Sign up and get £10 off your first order
Receive the best recommendations and offers on wines and spirits to your inbox