Malibu is the world's best-selling coconut-flavoured rum, a delicious ingredient for many delicious cocktails. The bottle in which it is presented is itself an icon: a total white bottle, decorated with the silhouette of two palm trees and the setting sun in the background.
History of Malibu
Malibu was born around 1982 on the island of Curaçao. Initially, it was elaborated with fruit spirits flavoured with rum and coconut aroma, and was mainly used to prepare one of the most famous cocktails in the world: the Piña Colada.
Since its creation, the Malibu has passed through several owners and, since 2017, it has been part of the portfolio of products offered by the French group Pernod Ricard. Today, Malibu is the number 1 coconut-flavored rum in the world, with 3.4 million cases sold each year.
In addition to the classic Malibu Original, flavored with coconut and an alcohol content of 21%, the brand offers a range of fruit flavored products:
- Malibu Pineapple: this Caribbean rum offers a delicious mix of pineapple and coconut flavors, reminiscent of Piña Colada.
- Malibu Mango: notes of mango and coconut combine in this soft, tropical rum.
- Malibu Passion Fruit: show your passion with this rum that combines the taste of passion fruit and coconut.
- Malibu Tropical Banana: enriched with the delicious taste of tropical bananas, this rum is a great discovery for any sweet cocktail enthusiast.
- Malibu Lime: it adds the pungent taste of lime to the coconut.
- Malibu Strawberry: the flavours of coconut and strawberry come together in a perfect summer mix.
- Malibu Fresh: a refreshing mint and coconut drink.
- Malibu Black: a coconut rum with an alcohol content of 35%.
Over the years, the Malibu brand has also released a wide range of pre-mixed drinks in cans, both sparkling and still, a limited edition beer, a tequila called Malibu Red and a series of already mixed cocktails.
Malibu's products are offered by various marketing campaigns as the perfect summer drinks. The motto that has accompanied the brand's sponsorship for years, "Malibu. Seriously easy going", refers to the quiet lifestyle that in the collective imagination is associated with the Caribbean and beach life. It seems strange, in fact, that the product was named after the famous Californian city and not with a more "Caribbean" name.