- Dumgoyne, Killearn
- Glasgow , Scotland
- United Kingdom
- +44 1360 550254
The history of Glengoyne starts like many other Scottish distilleries hidden and out of reach of the law's arm. In 1820, George Connell started producing whisky well-hidden at the Burnfoot Farm only to enter the legal market in 1833. His licence ran on the name Glenguin of Burnfoot. Until 1883, he maintained the exclusive rights to the water fountain of his surroundings. During the 1870ies, Scotland experienced a true boom with Sherry which offered a very easy and cheap access to sherry casks. And these casks opened Glengoyne the doors to elaborate a smoother and, at the same time, more complex spirit.
In 1907, the distillery Glenguin of Burnfoot changed its name to what we know today, the Glengoyne Distillery. And only 2 years later, Arthur John Tedder, former Customs Officer at Glengoyne, was knighted for "rendering inestimable assistance to the Royal Commission of Enquiry into whisky and other potable spirits". Since 2003, the Glengoyne Distillery is part of the independent and 100% family-owned company, Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd. But still, the famous whisky producer is able to maintain its artisanal tradition and celebrates ever since national, as well as international successes.