- All brands
- George Ballantine and Son - producer
George Ballantine and Son
All products from George Ballantine and Son9 products
about George Ballantine and Son
Ballantine's is one of the most popular brands of Blended Scotch Whiskies, the second best selling in the world. The blend at the base of the brand's products is composed of 50 Single Malts - of which the "soul" are those coming from the Miltonduff and Glenburgie distilleries - and 4 Grain Whiskies, which together create a quality and extremely versatile drink.
History of Ballantine's
Ballantine's story begins in 1827, when the very young George Ballantine, son of farmers, opened his own wine and spirits shop in Edinburgh. In 1865, George entrusted the business to his eldest son and opened a larger store in Glasgow. It was during this period that the Ballantine family began experimenting with blending, and immediately found great success among the shop's customers. In 1881, George Junior took over the reins of the business and took it off. It was only a few years later, in 1895, that George Ballantine&Son received the Royal Warrant from Queen Victoria.
In 1910, what is still the brand's flagship product, Ballantine's Finest, appeared on the market. In 1919, George Junior sold the business to Barclay and McKinlay, who sold it to the famous Canadian entrepreneur Hiram Walker in 1935. Walker, at the time, had already bought several Scottish distilleries, including Miltonduff and Glenburgie, which continued to supply the most important Single Malts of the Finest's blend.
In 1987, Hiram Walker sold Ballantine's to Allied Domecq, who in turn sold it to the French group Pernod Ricard in 2005.
Over the years, Ballantine's product portfolio has expanded considerably, without losing the quality that sets it apart.
- Ballantine's Finest: the most representative product of the brand, the one at the base of everything!
- Ballantine's Barrell Smooth: aged in caramelized barrels that give it a soft, sweet and slightly spicy taste.
- Ballantine's Brasil: a whisky enriched with fresh and acidic notes of lime.
- Ballantine's Passion: enriched with the delicious flavours of exotic fruit and yuzu.
- Ballantine's 12 Years: with sweet honeyed notes; it ages for at least 12 years.
- Ballantine's 17 Years: the world's first and most award-winning Blended Scotch 17YO.
- Ballantine's 21 Years: intense, rich and spicy; its whiskies have spent 21 years in European oak casks.
- Ballantine's 30 Years: a rich blend of incredibly rare whiskies aged for over thirty years.
- Ballantine's 40 Years: a luxurious and exclusive whisky, incredibly complex.
In addition to several special editions, such as the Club Collection dedicated to the most iconic clubs and discos, Ballantine's has launched three Single Malts on the market, dedicated to the three main ingredients that make up the blend of its Finest: the Single Malts from the Miltonduff, Glenburgie and Glentaucher distilleries.
Location and other informationGeorge Ballantine and Son
George Ballantine and Son
Location: Renfrewshire, Scotland
Country: United Kingdom
Sign up and get £10 off your first order
Receive the best recommendations and offers on wines and spirits to your inbox