Château La Louvière
- 149 Avenue De Cadaujac
- Léognan (ZIP Code 33850)
- (+33) 055 664 758
The history of La Louvière begins in the fourteenth century, and his name seems to come from the word "wolf". The owners of 1398 onwards were Guilloche family. It was during the sixteenth century when they consolidated their position in La Louvière, Jean Pierre and after Guilloche bought tracts of land to increase their wealth. The property grew to considerable size.
Confiscated and sold as national property in 1791, the new owner of Château La Louvière was a wealthy wine merchant named Jean-Baptiste Mareilhac, which also happened to own Rieussec. It was he who was responsible for the construction of the castle is still there today, Château appeal of clean lines, was the work of François Lhote, a student of the famous architect Victor Louis. The grandson of Alfred Jean-Baptiste was in charge during the second half of XIXm and wine earned a good reputation. In 1911 the property changed hands again, coming to Alfred Bertrand Taquet, a man who later became mayor in 1919.After the Second World War, the vineyards were rescued from an ignoble fate by André Lurton in 1965.
Château La Louvière occupies 61.5 acres total, with 13.5 for white varieties and 48 for the inks, and soils are mostly gravel, with some areas of limestone. The vines have an average age of approximately 22 years. With respect to the white varieties, Sauvignon Blanc for 85% of the vineyard, with 15% Semillon, which are harvested by hand in batches before fermentation in oak barrels and 12 months of aging on the lees with bâtonnage .
Red varieties are 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot 30% and 3% each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. After harvesting by hand, these are fermented in a mixture of stainless steel and concrete tanks, with temperatures reaching 30 º C. The wine is aged up to 12 months in oak, up to 75% new each vintage. The Great Wine, either red or white, is Château La Louvière, and a second wine named La Louvière.
Château La Louvière wines