When we think of food pairing possibilities for salmon our first option’s usually white wine or champagne. However, there are many other possible pairings for this tasty and soft fish. Whether wine, beer or spirits, there is a wide range of drinks: it is just a matter of putting aside traditions and try something new and different.
- Sancerre, Pouilly-Fumé and other Sauvignon from the Loire: these wines are known for their dry minerals, with delicate flavours of gooseberry that are perfect for smoked salmon. Other Sauvignons can also work as long as they are not too “herbal”.
- Chablis: young Chablis’ work better since they have a clean freshness and just the right amount of acidity to counteract the salmon’s greasiness. Chardonnays also go well with hot smoked salmon.
- Riesling: young German Riesling wines like Kabinett with their intense flavours of green apple combine especially well. Young Alsace wines and Australian Rieslings are also a good choice for this dish.
- Gewürztraminer: Gewürztraminer and smoked salmon make an excellent couple. Just give this two a shot.
- Dry sherry. If you like dry sherry, this might be your best choice. The sherry’s salty and spicy taste is perfect as long as it is served cold and directly after the bottle was opened.
Grand Regnard Chablis 2013: a white wine with Chablis DO with the best bunches of chardonnay from the 2013 vintage and with an alcohol content of 12º.
Beers and spirits
- Czech or German pilsner beer: the freshness and slight bitterness of pilsner is just the thing to serve with your dish of smoked salmon.
- Weissbier, Witbier or wheat beer: the ‘white’ beers go with most types of seafood in addition to smoked fish. An excellent option that will go great with your meals.
- Malt Whisky: it may not be the first thing on your mind thinking of smoked salmon but it makes for an excellent choice. Choose a light malt whisky if the taste of salmon is soft or an Islay whisky if it’s stronger.
- Aquavit: this is an aromatic spirit from the Nordic countries and a very original option to enjoy with salmon. Its dill and cilantro aromas make it a perfect partner for the fish’s taste.
- Vodka: good cold Polish vodka can work just fine. With this combination, you get to give an unexpected twist to your evening dining.
Absolut Electrik Silver: a vodka from distillery The Absolut Company from Sweden.