Pessac-Léognan wine is part of an appellation of origin is located inside the wines of Graves a wine region which is located in Bordeaux (France). This appellation is known both for its red wines and for its white wines.
Despite the tradition of winemaking, the designation was created in September 1987 as a sub-region of the southern part of Graves, which is located in Bordeaux. The purpose of its creation was to recognize its most representative producers, which are concentrated in the towns of Pessac, Talence and Léognan.
“The annual production of Pessac-Leognan wine, overlooks the 9million bottles (80% red and 20% white), which an approximately75% are exported.”
The appellation of Pessac-Léognan spans 10 communities: Cadaujac, Canéjan, Gradignan, Léognan, Martillac, Mérignac, Pessac, Saint-Médard-d’Eyrans, Talence and Villenave d’Ornon.
Among the major wineries producing the wines Pessac-Léognan, we find:
- Château Bouscaut – Ranked among the top vintages of red wine in this appellation. They are located in the commune of Cadaujac.
- Château Carbonnieux – One of the first wine yards included in the Classification of Graves wine. Both notable for its white wines and red wines.
- Château Haut-Bailly – Ranked among the top vintages of red wine in the Classification of Graves wine. The Winery is located in the commune of Léognan (south of Bordeaux).
- Château Haut-Brion – The Winery is located in the Pessac community, and is the only property that does not belong to the Médoc. Was included in the classification in 1985.
- Château Olivier – The Winery is – of the community of Léognan in addition to producing its distinctive wine, it also produces a second wine called: The Seigneurie d’Olivier du Chateau Olivier.
- Château Pape Clément – One of the oldest in that denomination regarding to Pessac Leognan (year 1300). Named by Pope Clement V.
- Château Smith Haut Lafitte – Designation found in the community of Martillac, famous for its cabernet sauvignon.
These are just some of the great wineries in the DO. At thisdesignation we also find: Château La Mission Haut-Brion, Château La Tour Haut-Brion, Château Latour-Martillac, Château Laville Haut-Brion, Domaine de Chevalier, Château Bouscaut, Château Carbonnieux, Château de Fieuzal, Couhins Château, Château Couhins -Lurton, Château Château Malartic Lagravière and Les Carmes Haut-Brion, among others.
Today we recommend the cheaper wines from Pessac-Léognan, because they have more than enough quality, and because there is no need to spend much to start to discover them.
Château Olivier is one of the wineries that produce better whites. Fantastic.